Friday, April 07, 2006

I Guess AOHell Is Good for Something After All

Anyone who has the double misfortune to be on dial up (c'est moi) and have AOHell can tell you that AOHell likes to install extraneous cr*p on your computer.

They want to help you with everything; they're just so considerate. They want to give you pop up blockers and spyware detectors and adware eliminators and virus exterminators etc., continued ad nauseum.

Yippidy skippidy.

I was hopping right along online last night and AOL Spyware popped up to let me know that it detected and blocked a spyware or adware program. That was cool with me, but curious as I tend to be, I decided to investigate and see exactly which little doohickey it had stopped from spying on me.

It was a surprise to me when the doohickey was named Family Keylogger 1.7.

Now, I had considered electronically surveilling Ex when I was highly suspicious of him, but my sponsor talked me out of it, saying it might make me crazy. So I didn't do it. I had done it previously and it had yielded no fruit…that was right after the first affair in December 2004, when Ex was on the straight and narrow. This time, I had gone so far as to download some free software of the above-mentioned variety, but I never installed it.

So why is it active on my machine?

Did Ex install it and spy on me to ensure that I was remaining clueless and that his roof over his head was secure?

I'm not sure which it is. I thought of calling him and asking, but why bother? If he did it, he'd just lie, so no matter what he said, I would still be left in the original boat with no paddle.

So I changed all my passwords again. And this weekend, I may wipe my laptop. Might as well anyway, since it's a little slow and I can't seem to delete Ex's user account. A good wipe is healthy for a computer anyway. Especially after you may have done something stupid in the past, like try to install Kazaa or Limewire. Even after you uninstall that cr*p, you can never be certain that it's really gone.

So I guess that'll eat some time this weekend. That's good, since I feel a little crazy right now. Crazy with anger.

No comments: