Monday, April 03, 2006

Good Morning World

Well, here we are at the aforementioned One More Day. :) It's going swimmingly.

Because of that lovely mantra that I heard in OA about doing what's in front of me, I am not behind on expense reports and/or contracts and therefore have time to write to my blog. Yippidy skippidy.

I feel lost today because those helpful, never-glimpsed elves that come and clean out the fridge every Friday went and threw away my lunch fixins. Thanks guys. Now I have to go home during lunch and acquire more. Dammit. I should have put a note on that stuff. I admire their ruthless efficiency, which is much like my own, but I really wish I could eat something right now because I'm starving. And I'm no longer carrying pocket change because it leads to too much spending and vending machine visits. And gas. Junk food gives me wicked gas.

I also feel lost today because I left my food journal at home. Double dammit!

And when I logged on to my puter this morning, I noticed that ABC Nuts & Bolts Company's little disclaimer about being monitored while using this system had grown.

Yes, it's grown. It's grown to include 3 stipulations. No longer does it simply inform you that by logging on to your computer in the morning, you expressly admit that you know you're being watched and expressly consent to such watching. Now it also says that everything you do is being logged. And you're being watched while they're logging it. And it doesn't say a word (that I remember) about your consent. It also says that you agree not to try and use this system to harm ABC Nuts & Bolts. Duh.

When I started taking this leadership class 3 weeks ago, I was a hard sell. I was not going to buy the company line about values and being proactive and stuff. That sh*t's for KoolAid drinkers! Not me!!!! Oh no. But it's starting to work on me and now I'm starting to get ideas. And showing up on time for work every day makes such a difference in how I see myself at work. I feel like I can actually, in the near future, apply for different jobs and have a reasonable chance of getting them. And, though there is a certain amount of loafing in my day (of course there is - I have spare time and no spare work…and I'm not going to ask for any, lest I get assigned to sort magazines that should be thrown away), it's not anything close to what it was, and work now comes first. And I know this is crazy talk, but I am starting to enjoy some of the stuff that I do. No, not the Geico callers (whom I occasionally enjoy giving the verbal smackdown to), and not the HR calls, but the other stuff…helping the technologically helpless.

Sooooooo, I guess the point is that my job doesn't feel so barren of opportunity and boring as it once did. I guess my viewpoints on many things are changing, and I'm happy about that.


No comments: