Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Angry Computers

Lately, my computer's been having Outlook problems. Specifically, I keep getting this "your mailbox is full" message when in fact my mailbox has nothing in it. In fact, now I'm directing anything with large attachments away from my mailbox in the sense that I'm having Outlook auto-file it in an archive file not attached to my mailbox. That way, the server gods remain appeased and won't shut me off.

Since this was becoming a major annoyance, I finally capitulated and called Tech Support. They promptly sent one of my favorite tech support guys up here. We'll call him TSG.

So TSG sits down in my throne and starts fiddling with my computer. First he tries all the stuff that I tried. He finally fixes it.

"Awesome! What was wrong with it?"

 "I think that when you used the 'recovered deleted items' command in your deleted items folder, that made it angry."

"The computer was angry?"

"Yeah. Angry. So it wouldn't let you send and receive."

"It was angry? What, are we talking about Skynet here?" (for the uninitiated: in Terminator 3, it turned out that Skynet was a virus that took over all computers around the world. Or something like that. That's why it couldn't be shut off.

"Terminator is a required viewing for us when we start as tech support guys."

No comments: