Sunday, April 16, 2006

Home Again After the Bickersons Reunion Holiday Extravaganza

Pull into parking lot. Put car into first, turn off ignition, take feet off of clutch and brake. Throw head back onto driver's seat headrest with arm on passenger seat back...sigh. Think about dragging your tired ass up the stairs to my apartment. All 3 flights.
Listen to the gas sloshing in the tank and think about how that is the most peaceful sound I've heard in the past 24 hours.
Her laughter was the most joyful sound I've heard in a long time.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I went to Mom n Dad's today for Easter dinner. Oh God, what a clusterfuck. Ham was horrid, as usual...no glaze people. How can you have a ham with no fuckin glaze?
There were 2 pineapple upside down cakes there...which were claimed to have been made from scratch. Considering that they were still in the tins and the plastic covers were sitting on the counter, I'm not buying that. Sister bought it wholeheartedly though. I, of course, did compliment Mom on her baking skills.
Hell, if my kitchen were the size of a walk in closet, I wouldn't want to bake either.
I had sister do the 'easter egg hunt'. She 'hid' the eggs out in Mom and Dad's apartment complex courtyard and Niece had a ball looking for em. That's what counts.
Sister was trying so hard to parent Niece. A little too hard, trying to show Mom n Dad that she's a good parent, I guess. It's kinda sad really. I really mean that, not in a nasty way...I mean it in the sense that it's sad that she feels she must prove it to them and to the world. But I guess that's what she's been trying to prove for almost 2 years now.
Maybe I'm cynical because I'm so damn tired, but it seemed to me like she was courting the child, not really parenting her. I sometimes wondered, however, if I was a little too much of a control freak. I didn't give Niece any leeway. How much did Boyfriend rub off on me? Maybe I do need to relax a little bit.

No comments: