Friday, May 19, 2006

Text Messaging Drives Me Nuts

As we discussed yesterday, I am a fan of words. Large words. They're just a part of me; part of the fiber of my very being. I'm not sure how this happened - some may say from reading too much; others, from reading just enough. :o) I just like words.

So, when it comes to text messaging, I am endlessly frustrated. First of all, my sentences are all pretty long and I can't bear the idea of not having proper punctuation in them. So, yes, I must have my commas, apostrophes, hyphens etc.

I am so pained whenever I have to use a 2 for 'to' or a 'thru' for 'through' or somesuch abbreviation. It reminds of reading rants and ravings from illiterate message board posters, thinking all the while, 'Why the h*ll can't people flippin' spell these days? Jaysus!"

Yeah, I know my posts are often full of missing words, typos, etc. But you gotta remember I write this stuff pretty much on the fly, as it comes out of my head, and it's not very edited. I write a lot of it at work, so I don't have the time to dedicate to making it perfect. When I do have that time available, I usually don't care about perfection anyway.

No comments: