Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Cookies, Wartbugs, Christianity, and The Da Vinci Code

Wartbugs in my Cookie
Ok now this post is gonna be a little surreal.

Last night I had the weirdest dream on the face of the planet.

I dreamt that I had 'wartbugs' in my cookie and my mom was warning me about it. "See? If you'd waited until you got married again to have s*x, you wouldn't have wartbugs in your cookie!" I mean, I could see the bugs. In. my. cookie.

Mightily disturbing.

It was horrible. And I just finished reading this Dan Brown book, Deception Point. In the book, they find fossilized bug remains in this meteorite. So, of course, the bugs in my dream were white bugs that looked like the one's described in the book. Eeeeeeeek!


Christianity and The Da Vinci Code
Meanwhile, it seems that nutzo Christian churches (no, they're not all nutzo; just the ones that I'm referring to) are going crazy over the Da Vinci Code. I talked to a friend of mine about the movie and he's all like, "Too bad they questioned his divinity in the plot line! And too bad they intimated that he didn't die on the cross!!"

"What?"

"I heard they questioned his divinity and his death and resurrection."

"No, the book and the movie don't really question anything  about his divinity or death."

"Really? I thought they did! Thanks for letting me know."

He hadn't read the book. But I bet he had gone to church and heard this propaganda. What a load of sh*t.

If Jesus married and had children, that would say nothing about his divinity one way or the other. The Catholic Church contends that Jesus was fully man and fully God at the same time.  If that's true, then the existence of a wife and child(ren) doesn't detract from Jesus' message. I think the Church decided to just declare that it wasn't so because they wanted the focus to be on God and the message of Jesus, not whether Jesus' children should inherit the church, etc. Not princes and princesses. The masses were much simpler people back then and were used to chomping the bit of royalty. Not much education was to be had for the peasantry. So the Church, I think, just decided they'd simplify the whole thing and say that there were no children and there was no wife.

Today we look at Africa and the Middle East and we're horrified at the level of violence and mass hysteria that's embraced in those regions. Europe wasn't much different in the middle ages, I think. People were killing each other over small religious differences and the Church was a huge orchestator. Christians don't really want to look at that stuff and think about the grisly past of Christianity. Just as Islam is a religion going through its stage of extremism, so did Christianity. Look at the Crusades.

People get touchy when you mess with their religion. They've found something for them that works or that's their core beliefs and they don't want to entertain thoughts different than what they currently possess. And this betrays a lack of security about their faith. They don't want to entertain these differing thoughts because they are afraid that they make shake their own faith and beliefs and, in fact, lose their faith. The truth is, you have to think about all this stuff and let is pas over and through you, because only when you do that and still come out believing the same, can you really say that you're secure and comfortable in your faith. And you can say that because you've really thought about it and internalized it, not just swallowed what someone else has spoon fed you.

No comments: