Monday, May 08, 2006

Of Gardens, Fountains, Rich Boyfriends, Rum, and Karaoke

Ah the weekend; another one bites the dust.

God I wish it was still Sunday. Because then I'd still be sound asleep. And that would be awesome.

Friday night, I watched The Woodsman and went to a meeting at a friend's house. Awesome meeting. Actually, not an official OA meeting. It was a friendly get-together thing where we listened to this CD from a convention and then we talked about it. For a long time. It was just very enjoyable.

Gardens & Fountains
On Saturday, I had a full day. That's not usually the case. Usually, I sleep until noon, then putter around the house till 6pm, then finally leave home for parts unknown. Not so this Saturday. I actually got up before noon. I did some puttering, but finally got myself dressed, called Niece's foster mom and asked if I could borrow her for a little while, then worked out. I picked up Niece around 2:30 and we planted a little garden in one of those peat moss pellet greenhouses. If all goes well, we'll soon have 72 little seedlings…zinnias, lavender, and petunias. Then we drove down to the fountain downtown and walked around. We had dinner at Taco Bell where I ordered way too much food.

Niece said a few times that she wanted to live with me and I told her what Bird had instructed me to…that the judge would have to decide. She wanted to go see this mysterious judge right away.

Rich Boyfriends
Niece went home at 6pm and then I hurriedly got ready and picked up her ex foster mom…what should we call her? Well, she's short and she decorates a lot. How about Petunia? Yep, that's good. Petunia and I went to Cheeseburger in Paradise, which is located in a posh outdoor mall-type development that also masquerades as New Urbanism. But I don't think that people espousing New Urbanism intended for 4 lane high ways to be part of their plans. For anyone who actually lives in the developments nearby to get to this retail beacon, they have to cross a 4 lane, 45 MPH street.

So there was a huge wait for Cheeseburger in Paradise. After having eaten there, I can see why. It was fun. Our waiter was cute but had too many tables. While we waited, we wandered around the mall. All the shops there are super expensive. It was nice to dream. But if I had to listen to Petunia talk about finding a rich boyfriend or husband for 5 more minutes, I think I'd have passed out. Whenever I think of buying expensive things and think about how could I ever afford this stuff, I think about how I personally can earn more money. I do not think about finding a rich boyfriend or husband.

I'm not saying it's evil to think that way. It certainly isn't. Having a rich partner has no moral value to it -- it's not good or bad. It just is. I certainly am not going to turn someone down because they're rich. Nor am I going to turn someone down based on the fact that they're just middle of the road. I don't want to support another underachiever, but I'd have to consider that carefully. Sometimes you can find a diamond in the rough. I think it's kinda like the Buy and Hold investment strategy. Buy low, sell high. Or, preferably, don't sell at all.

It just seems like someone's sold this woman a bad bill of goods that's told her she's not talented enough to make it on her own; that you've got to have a man in order to have any kind of wealth or financial security for yourself.

But, you know, who wouldn't like to be rescued? I guess it depends on the price of being rescued.

I suppose the musings on having a rich boyfriend to buy you stuff kinda makes sense when she told me that she used to be anorexic and now has a problem staying away from food. She's unhappy with how she looks. I suppose we all are, to some extent. Next revelation: Petunia's dad was an alcoholic. Now it all makes sense.

Rum
Enter the rum. During dinner, I sucked down a very watered-down Pina Colada. The Pina Colada mix was delicious. I also blew my budget so now I'm in a financial shell game to keep things from turning to rubber.

Karaoke
But that wasn't the end of the liquored up chapter of the evening on Saturday. Oh no. We shortly found ourselves meeting up with Petunia's ex-foster daughter, Ashley, at a local karaoke bar, Mic's (pronounced Mike's). One of the chicks there sang "Sin Wagon" and she rocked the joint. I sang "Son of a Preacher Man". I did alright. No one threw anything at me. As it turned out, we were sitting right next to a classmate of mine from elementary school. Now I know why she was always so sullen -- she hated Catholic school. I can't identify with that - I loved Catholic school.

Rum-Soaked Karaoke
Next it was off to Petunia's to drink and do more karaoke. She has a karaoke machine. Loverly. First we stopped at a grocery store to acquire more liquor. While there, Petunia felt compelled, and I do mean compelled, to purchase chips and dip. Two large bags of two kinds of chips. For a total of 4 people. Hmmm.

Two rum-filled mudslides later, I'm doing karaoke in Petunia's basement while the two non-singers, her and Ashley's husband, play board and party games. Ashley sucks. I'm doing ok. But I'm no professional, lol.

We finally end our Saturday night at 3am, after I've sobered up a bit. Off I go to go home. It's creepy that the alcohol, at this point, has stopped affecting me. Yeah, I'm an alcoholic's daughter.

Mr. Wrong's texted me a few times and I tried to text him back, but he seems to weirdly not get my messages. Oh well. Yeah, I fretted a little bit that I wasn't there for him. Man this is already out of control. F*ck.

Sunday
Sunday came and I journalled about stuff…a lot…then I went to my sister's house and did laundry. I miss having a computer that'll run The Sims 2. It would be a lot easier to stay away from Mr. Wrong if I had something more fun to do.

I stayed up until about 2am last night watching King Kong, the Peter Jackson version. One word: Whoa. I think I got a virtual concussion from watching Naomi Watts being thrashed around while being carried in Kong's meaty fist through the jungles and forests. I kept thinking that my willing suspension of disbelief was being stretched pretty thin. Anyone who'd been through all that would be experiencing some serious bone fractures, I'm sure. And then there were the insects devouring folks. God those natives were fugly. The movie was a visual feast, and it was well-acted indeed, but people were dying off left and frickin right. I was starting to wonder if anyone was left outside of Adrien Brody, Jack Black, and Naomi Watts. Jack Black is an awesome actor.

During laundry, my sister and I went out to 'dinner' at Taco Smell. On the way back, I spontaneously expressed regard for her and she started to tell me how her friend T (whom we'll call Satan) doesn't like me just as much as I don't like her. And I said, "Oh my God, what a laugh. Do you know how much Satan loves to talk smack about you? She revels in each opportunity presented! Sh*t, do you think I was the only person who called CPS? Your 'friends' beat me to the buffet!" Man, if I had friends like my sister's, I'd be in serious trouble indeed. Those people love to talk smack about my sister whenever they can find a willing ear.

And that's the end of the weekend. TTFN!

1 comment:

K said...

Sounds pretty fun.