Friday, February 10, 2006

Obsession

One of the VPs I support is a total perfectionist. I cry at night for his children.
 
So he called me and needed me to come back to his office stat! I get there and what do I find?
 
He's obsessing over the fact that Word has decided his French last name must be misspelled and it's placed non-printing red squiggle under the name to signify that it MUST be a typo!
 
Oh sweet Jesus!!! What if Word functions properly and does the same thing on his client's computer and they see that horrible red squiggle???? There must be some way to remove the offending markup!
 
I tried, TRIED to explain to him that it doesn't matter that the squiggle is there. No one cares except HIM!!!!! Annnnnnnd no one HERE can control what his client's computer's settings are. So no matter what we do here, we cannot guarantee that it won't appear on their computer. But how on God's green earth do you explain that without appearing unhelpful, which as we all know, is essential to all secretaries? :)
 
Well, you don't. You try to find some way to get the squiggle to disappear, and then you get him to email it to his customer, who most assuredly will NOT care about the squiggle, and then hopefully he will forget about it. Hopefully.
 
And I thought I was obsessive-compulsive. Nice to know that I don't have the market cornered.

No comments: