Monday, February 20, 2006

Minor Irritation and Stealth Tossing

Supervisor asked me to do something today, and that task, namely, is to take a detailed inventory of our binding coils. The process for ordering the things just got complicated (we have to start getting a purchase order) and so we don't want to order them too often.

So, I went ahead and gleefully did this.

I submitted it to Supervisor. All was lovely.

And then, she went and recounted the dang things!!!! Why did she have me do it at all if she was just going to recount them anyway? I learned how to count along with the rest of my kindergarten and first grade class, thank you very much. Counting to 10 is one skill that I do have down-pat.

I love Supervisor and she loves me, but there are certain things that we differ on.

For example, she is loathe to throw anything away. Anything. It doesn't matter if it's been sitting for about 3 years and there are no fingerprints in its covering of dust to indicate interest in the item. I, on the other hand, have no problem throwing stuff away. If it even looks like it hasn't been used in a long time, I will toss it. But Supervisor is the one with power, so she makes the rules. This is why the back room is filled with junk. I can only imagine what her domicile looks like. I think, though, that it is time for me to start using a skill that I employ regularly with Boyfriend…ie..stealth tossing. Basically, you throw stuff away when they're not looking and then gloat as months and years pass and whatever it was that you tossed but they considered sacrosanct is not missed AT ALL.

Don't get me wrong. I don't just blindly toss sh*t. If it is sentimental, I am not going to throw it away. If there is even a question as to whether I should toss it, I won't do it. But if it's blatant trash (ie last week's want-ads or something akin), I am going to toss it.

The other thing is that Supervisor is very perfectionist. It serves her well. But I couldn't deal with it. To me, perfectionism is to be avoided at all costs as you can never measure up with this as a philosophy to live by. I'll take reasonable measures to ensure accuracy, but I won't obsess about stuff the way that she does.

Well, someone just handed me some expenses to mess with, so I am off to do those. Thank God someone gave me some work to do!

No comments: