Sunday, February 05, 2006

Coding MP3s

Or at least I'm trying to.
 
But the music industry has decided that you can't have even one damned extra copy of any music that you buy. Oh no, that would be horrible. No, now you've got to sign up for some damned service like iTunes and pay for each song instead of being able to buy a CD and then encode some MP3s for your own use.
 
I was really looking forward to being able to listen to my 2 new CDs at work without carting the damned things with me. I don't like to take my CDs anywhere...I make a copy and then use that in the car or at work or whatever. I store MP3s on my work computer so I don't even need to use a CD. It helps me avoid damaging my new CDs.
 
So I bought a copy of the new Foo Fighters CD, In Your Honor, and I was looking forward to encoding it into MP3s so as to listen to it on my work computer and on my Palm Pilot. But noooooooo, can't do that! It just really pisses me off.
 
Never mind that I freely enjoyed that golden period where we could all download zillions of free songs before the recording industry got off their fat ass and caught up with the times. I only have about 1GB or so of songs. Many of them are from CDs that I already purchased and then I MP3ed them so I could listen to them via my computer.
 
Now I have to drag the stupid discs with me and install something that is probably spyware onto my computer in order to just listen to the stupid CD on my computer.
 
There must be some way around this...but do I care enough to find it? I don't know.
 
Time for bed.

No comments: