Wednesday, August 23, 2006

What Have I Done?

OH dear.

Compared to most people at ABC Nuts & Bolts, I have a really nice cube. It's decorated with a pleasant creamy-beige color and the flippers have this cool leaf thing going on. I have a little memo board and a truly lovely cube. Part of my cube actually has this cool glass wall thingy. It's neat.

Most people have horrendous cubes. Poor Darling Niki has a cube from the 80's that has a purple flipper and grey walls, with a grey counter as well. No glass thingy. I do covet her whiteboard, however.

My 5.5' walls allow me to have the illusion of privacy. They also allow me to get ignored when people walk by on their way to their offices.

This morning, having had enough of being ignored, I whined to my supervisor about how I'm tired of people doing this:

I hope you can see that. They come from the elevator lobby, say a nice "Good morning!" to Twiggy, then continue on their way with not a word to me. I figure it's because they don't see me, as I'm hidden in this cube cave.

So, this morning, I whined to Supervisor that I was tired of that happening and thought that if we changed my cube
from this

to this,

then it would be easier for people to say good morning and I'd be less isolated and more approachable. She thought that was a great idea and immediately put in a work order.

But, man, what a mistake I've made. Have you ever heard of ANYONE in an office wanting LESS privacy?

How will I slack? How will I post in my blog? How will I fart in peace?

How will I play Solitaire on my Palm Pilot when I've got nothing to do? What about reading blogs? Mimi's often has these weird stripper pictures in it. How will I keep track of which Greek Paris is screwing now?

Oh dear.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVE this post!

Anonymous said...

Niki, guess what Sponsor said?

"Good! Now you'll be more honest about how you spend your time at work!" with this cheerful tone in her voice.

LOL.