Monday, August 07, 2006

Movie Review: Hustle and Flow

I can see why this movie was such a huge hit. I liked it. Terence Howard is a good looking black man.

Anyway, the protagonist may have been a pimp, but he was probably the gentlest pimp I've ever seen portrayed in a movie. It's like he was different from his surroundings and that's what made him likeable, even though he used one of his women in exchange for a microphone. That was probably the least likeable part of the film.

Another part that I thought wasn't too likeable was when he put one of the women out and put her, oh, nine-month-old baby out with her. I mean, it's not like he could keep the baby in the house but throw the trash-talking mother out, but it was just hard for me to watch.

I wish I had better words for this film. I can't relate to that kind of life....but I can relate to the fact that inside, people aren't really that different, no matter what their social or economic strata. This guy had an innate desire to better himself, one way or another, and he had the gumption to go for it. Not that much different than someone who sacrifices and works hard to go to college. He used the available resources. Even though pimping women is repugnant.

Anyway, it's a compelling film. You do root for the guy, and it's entertaining at the same time. There's lots of good acting too.

No comments: