Sunday, August 20, 2006

Foster Irritations

Niece is happily playing in her room. I have put all her clothes away, and found that we definitely need a bookshelf and a large bin for her toys. Storage is the word of the day.
 
I went through her clothes, and that's where the post's title comes from. These people had spent almost no money whatsoever on clothes for Niece. Many of the clothes that she had were things that *I* had bought for her. Almost none of the clothes that she came with fit. The clothes that did fit were so raggedy, it wasn't even funny. It appeared that no one had bought her any new socks or underwear. All her panties were ones that I bought her and they were size four. Niece is a size seven or eight! No wonder they were so tight!
 
Then I went through her jackets. I couldn't tell by looking at them whether they fit, so I had her try one on. It was too tight.
 
"But it fits!" She sounded desperate for that jacket to fit. What the hell?
 
"No, it doesn't. It's too tight."
 
"That's because I have a lot of fat."
 
"What the FUCK? Who the FUCK told you that shit?" Actually, something a little tamer came out. That's just what I was thinking.
 
"What? Who told you that?" I tried to sound mild.
 
"Fostersister."
 
"You are not too fat. You are exactly the way that God made you, and exactly the way you're supposed to be. If clothes are too tight, it's because we need to give them away and buy new ones for you, not because you're fat."
 
"But you're big too. You're fat."
 
"Yes I am. That's the way God made me and that's exactly the way I'm supposed to be today."
 
At this point, I'm seething, but I am not showing it to Niece. She may be a little chubby, but so fuckin what? She's five years old, for Christ sake!
 
This plainly bothers me way more than it bothers Niece. Yes, kids used to make fun of me when I was young, and yes, I feel very protective of Niece.
 
I thought that that fostersister had kind of taken Niece under her wing. But now Niece is saying that she had told her that she was fat, and that she called her names. Now, Niece could be making this stuff up, so I tried to be neutral. I just said I was sorry that that happened and gave her a hug.
 
She loves her new bed and her new room. I'm happy about that. Now we're off to shop for posters and some other items. Fun :)

No comments: