Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Who Knew Books Could Cause Such a Stir?

I decided to order some books for Phrecklette through her school. They were about $17 total. Since I don’t have checks yet for my new account, I had to get a money order. I got one last night at my bank and asked BF to take it to her school this morning. He asked me what it was for. Knowing he would give me his unsolicited advice about the wisdom of purchasing books for her, I said it was tuition. I didn't have time to argue with him this morning.

Well, being the smart cookie that he is, he figured it out and didn't give them the money order. Damnit. He thinks I should not be spending money on these books. He says I should get them from a garage sale or something. Normally I'd concur with that, but when do I have time to go to garage sales? Furthermore, these are really good quality books…books like the ones that I had when I was a kid. He says I should go through the books that I already have and read those to her first. We've read all of those…many of them are for kids much younger than she. Honestly, I need to get rid of them.

I wanted to get her some new books because I want to expose her to new things. New ideas, ways of speaking, concepts, the whole thing. Aren't we encouraged to do that as parents?

I guess I don't understand why this guy thinks he has a right to interfere in these decisions. Being alone is looking more and more inviting. At least then every decision is unanimous. My supervisor was right about that.

He just seems to have a problem respecting my boundaries and I don't know if I can deal with that. My boundary is that until I have financial responsibilities toward you and you have them toward me, you can offer advice, but if it's not taken, you shut your trap. I mean, isn't the idea in a relationship to find someone that you can accept as they are, not someone that you feel that you must change to fit what you want? Don't you need to find someone that is entirely what you want, then you build a relationship with them?

And doesn't it seem wrong to have your partner tell you that they've make mistakes and now they want to do better, and then you tell them that they will not do any better because they've previously failed to do so? I thought that in a loving relationship, you're supposed to show that you're in their corner.

I just wish I could stay calm during these discussions and not get so upset with him so I could calmly say what I need to say!!!

And to think I was actually going to let him put a piece of his furniture in my apartment…no way am I going to allow that now.

No comments: