Monday, March 13, 2006

Disowning My Mother Looks Like a Good Solution Sometimes...

Sheila,
Something feels stuck and it can suck your psychic energy down the drain as you try to unclog your emotional pipes. Normally, after your usual period of resistance, you would put on your plumber's hat and go in to do the work. Today, however, the problem may not get resolved by force. It's not about how others see your feelings; it's about how you feel them. The truth is you may not have to fix anything at all.

I have often felt in life that I must fix situations. When I heard that CPS wants to terminate my sister's parental rights, I felt like I needed to do something to make sure Niece is ok. I felt that I needed to go to my sister and fix her feelings. I knew how she must be feelings.

This all happened yesterday. I talked to my sister; we talked things out, but I didn't try to fix her feelings. I'm not going to try and fix my mom's feelings. I'm not going to try and make her admit anything. You cannot make people be honest with themselves before they are ready to. But I think I am slowly coming to a decision about my mom and about how I am going to associate with her...or not associate with her.

I read an interesting quote today and I believe that's it's applicable to this situation:

"The most difficult lesson to learn is: which bridge in life to use or which one to break off."

No comments: