Friday, September 02, 2005

Hurricane Katrina Has Exposed the Racial Divide in Louisiana

http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/news/article.adp?id=20050902071309990001

Check out this story.

I noticed this long before the news picked up on it. Come on! It was so obvious. Almost all those people at the Superdome in Louisiana were black…all you had to do was look at the pictures to see it. I didn't see one white person in the crowds…it was a sea of black skin. I wondered when people would start noticing this.

I'm white but I will say this: you wonder why the response to this tragedy is so sluggish? It's because no one has sympathy for thousands of black people. When fighting and looting erupts among them because they're starving and desperate, people find it incredibly easy to just say it's because they're 'those people'. When they started shooting at helicopters and making their own situation worse, I know what people were thinking, "Well what do you expect from those people?"

If that was a bunch of white people, you might have seen the same violence, you might now have. Who knows? But I do know that if those people were white, even if they were white looters and fighters, you'd have seen a lot more sympathy.

No comments: