Thursday, January 12, 2006

Twiggy’s Expanding Derriere

Twiggy is one of those old-school women who will under no circumstances tell you her age. She religiously covers up her gray hair with Miss Clairol and has a fitness regimen. You will not see her without makeup. However, she’s got to be about 40 or something because her sister’s kid has kids of about 4 years old…whom Twiggy is in love with. It’s kinda cute and definitely humanizes Twiggy a little bit for me.

I’m not sure how much longer I will be able to call Twiggy by the moniker I’ve bestowed upon her in this blog. It is apparent that Twiggy is expanding.

Not by much, mind you. It is only apparent to me because she has changed how she dresses. Her suits and whatnot do not fit her very well…basically, she’s channeling a little J. Lo. She’s stopped wearing them altogether. And then there was the day when she was wearing her shirt out to hide the fact that her pants were not buttoned.

This is going to sound ultra-horrible, but…

I’m glad I’m not the only one around here who gains weight!

How often do we feel like we’re the only ones who have trouble with our weight? I often feel jealous of people who seem to effortlessly be thin…even though I intellectually know that it’s not that easy, even for they who are born naturally thin.

It is not acceptable for the salespeople to be significantly overweight in this company. While they are not expected to be twig-like, they are not supposed to develop beer bellies, too much ass, or anything akin to the preceding. If they gain a little weight, they are expected to cover that up with extra-well-tailored clothing.


I actually heard someone referring to a fat person by the term ‘whale’ in conversation the other day. It made me respect him quite a lot less, especially considering that when I started working with him, he himself was whale-like, to use his jerk-terminology.

I think that it’s actually considered unprofessional, in this company, to be overweight, no matter how one dresses or acts otherwise. To be overweight in this sales department is to be the victim of discrimination, conscious or not, and sniggering behind closed doors. There’s one sales guy here who’s a little chubby, but he works his butt off and so no one messes with him. Sometimes I think he has to achieve even more than the other salespeople in order to be taken seriously.

Anyway, that’s just my perception…but I bet I’m not the only person to notice it.

No comments: