Wednesday, November 16, 2005

More Reasons to Intensely Dislike Insurance Companies

Did I mention that I had a car accident on November 5, a Saturday?

Yup. I did. It was of the sandwich variety; the sandwich variety being that the other two vehicles involved were the bread and my little station wagon was the dark green jelly.

I probably didn't also mention that I was not insured at the time and that my driver's licensed had expired on my birthday.

So of course I'm liable for the damage to the vehicle in front of me. Understood, since I rear-ended him. Black and white, case closed.

But the guy behind me is in the same boat as me with regard to liability, in that he's liable for the damage to my car's rear end.

And his insurance company wants to settle. That's great.

What's not so great is that they've offered me $100.00 for the damage to my car. Not acceptable.

To them, it's fair. They said the car was totalled before their insured even hit it. Possibly. However, to me, it's not fair. My property had more value that its resale value -- namely, its value lay in the fact that it's operable and gets me from point A to point B every day. That car is my livelihood. Comprende?

So I called my would-be attorney and he said, well you could go to small-claims court. Blah blah blah…and I said, well, tell you what…I'll just pay my retainer since I need an attorney anyway, and let you handle it.

Bottom line -- must pay retainer very quickly. Thank God my car is driveable and operable…because that makes me not work from a position of desperation. Well they are going to be mui surprised, as is my attorney, because I am not going to take 2 months to pay my retainer.

No comments: