Friday, September 22, 2006

Snap Decisions

Snap decisions are usually not good ones.

So it was demonstrated to me today. Munchkin's school called and apparently she is acting out again today.

My lack of confidence in these areas is really showing. At the first mention of switching to half-day kindergarten, I was like, "Yes, school, I will lay down and do what you say!"

But after conversations with the caseworker and the counsellor, that does not seem like the best solution. The best solution is to work through these problems and see if they continue even after applying discipline and patience to the issue at hand. Half-day kindergarten is just a quick fix. I am too easily swayed by people with degrees. When they first mentioned half-day, I was against it. I didn't voice this opinion, however. I just bowed to their professional knowledge.

I know the school is concerned about safety. That's legitimate. But I am concerned about Munchkin getting the message that she can growl, kick, spit, and bite her way out of any unpleasant situation. All she has to do is scare the adults and they'll bow to her wishes.

That is one side of this dilemma. The other side is that I need to be more independent of the caseworker and the therapists involved in this situation. I need to fully take on my role as Munchkin's parent. I don't need this much help. I have my own support systems. I can handle this, with the help of God and the people that I trust in my own life. I didn't realize how much power I have as a foster parent. These decisions are mostly mine to make. I don't need input from a zillion different people - I am asking for approval far too much, and it is essentially an effort to put others in control of my life and Munchkin's life

It comes down to this: Am I going to parent this kid or not? Do I want to do it or do I want others to do it? Time to stand up.

No comments: