Sunday, September 03, 2006

I Hate Weekends

And this weekend is a compelling reason to keep on doing so.
 
Yes, I know that my misery is of my own making. I didn't plan very well, so Munchkin and I ended up spending the lion's share of Saturday at home.
 
And she had acted a little crazy at the doc's office.
 
"No TV today."
 
"Why?"
 
"Well honey, you need to think about how you behaved at the doctor's office, and you can't think with the TV on."
 
"But I'm sorry!"
 
"Sorry isn't good enough."
 
Later that night, after I ended up breaking down in tears while Munchkin pelted books at her bedroom door in an attempt to get me to open it, she finally went to bed. And my sponsor gave me the following mantra, "Don't give her a consequence that's worse for you than it is for her."
 
IE...don't make the TV addict do without TV all day long without expecting to pay large amounts of attention to her.
 
On top of everything else, we still have diarrhea, folks. And by we, I mean she does the shitting and I do the cleaning. The accidents are fewer and farther between though. Yay!
 
We found out what's causing it at the doc's office on Saturday, so we started medication for that today. In connection with that, I apparently am going to have to teach her a certain skill that she should know by now, but does not. One word can describe this skill: yucky.
 
Sponsor keeps suggesting I do all this crafty John Rosemond discipline. Don't make her do anything, just punish her later when it'll really hurt. No, I'm not talking about spankings. "Oh hey honey, we're going to spank you for a, b, and c. And we're going to use a cat o'nine tails because you didn't clear the table last night." No, what she's referring to is something akin to the following:
 
"I don't want to clear the table." Insert whiny tone for proper effect, ie: "I don't waaaaaaaaaant to clear the taaaaaaaaable!"
 
"That's ok, I'll take care of it."
 
And then later, in the car, about to leave the parking lot:
 
"Oh, sorry, honey. I almost forgot. We can't go to the movie because you chose not to clear the table like you were supposed to. My time isn't free, so we're going to stay home instead."
 
Somethin like that. I'm sure I have it wrong. But you get the gist.
 
But I gave up on that this morning when Munchkin refused to pick up her books and bolted from her room in an attempt to evade putting them away. I took her back to her room and held the door shut while informing her that she wasn't coming out until her room was clean. Suddenly, she was eager to please and far more respectful for the rest of the day.
 
And, yes, I let her watch TV. We're going to have to wean her off of that and it might take a while.
 
Meanwhile, I'm eating everything in sight and obsessing about how to cook the perfect pancake in my cast iron skillet. I read an article about how wonderful cast iron is and how you can use it forever, which is definitely true, as my mom has cast iron that's older that my sister. The pancake mystery has been solved, I'm unhappy to report. Now that pancakes aren't carbonzied, stomach-turning messes, it's going to be far more difficult to resist the urge to eat them.
 
That's about it. Got a couple of other small items to post about, but then I'm headed off to bed.

No comments: