Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Control Freaks

Man, I thought that *I* was bad. But after last night's meeting, it is clear to me that I can breathe a little easier, knowing that I could always be worse.

Last night at OA we had a meeting about the retreat and I was struck by how much of a control freak the leader of the committee is. I do believe we need strong leadership, but man, I find this particular behavior to be obnoxious in the extreme. Geez, just let me do my job. Help is nice, letting me know about what's worked in the past is nice, but telling me step by step how to do it really kinda grates on me.

It's sooooo ironic. We were talking about a tradition, tradition nine, which basically keeps all the addicts from wrecking their own organization. Addicts don't seem to like authority much. This is incredibly heavy irony because we tend to be control freaks. We manipulate and pout when people decide that *they* are going to be the captains of their own ships, no matter how much advice we give them and how much we try to tell them the *right* way to navigate the ship of their lives.

And you know this could just be my own personality flaws coming through - imagine this: I don't like authority. Hell, read my blog from a year ago and all you'll see is whining about how people are asking me to work. Holy Jesus, no! Though I don't think it's unreasonable to be angry that the uppity Adminzilla has decided you can go shred her trash. That might have been two centimeters on the right side of okay. And there were the Lazy Executive Assistants to deal with...that wasn't unreasonable. But God, the whining! Worse that my five year old. Blech.

Well, it's a new day and I don't have to meet up with this person for another whole week. Thank you Jesus. Thank you Tom Cruise.

No comments: