Sunday, December 30, 2007

Time for a New Career

But what shall it be?

Watching how the Mack runs his business life has been inspiring. When he gets an idea about something, he researches it, then he evaluates it - figuring out the 'secret' of it - then if it's still a good idea, he just does it.

This is probably the first relationship where I've been extremely upfront about how I am with money and about my financial situation. Granted, that's easier when you're not lying and being dishonest left and right and you're not doing freaky, possibly illegal things with money. So I'm really glad that I've changed.

And I'm really glad I can be that honest. I'm getting on a tangent now, but this is the first time that I've thought, well, I'm just going to show who I am in all my glory or lack thereof, and if he likes it, great. If not, I'll be ok.

Anyway, the Mack has been really great about where I am financially. I don't have much debt, relatively speaking, but what I do have is past due and I'm working to get rid of it. I haven't had any real ambition for a while now, but I feel my ambitions for success returning and I have to admit that Dedee is a large reason for that.

He has had great advice for how I can get out of debt, how to negotiate with bill collectors, and how I can simplify my life and achieve my very simple goals of obtaining an education and a house.

So I've been a secretary for about five years now. Just at ABC Nuts and Bolts, that is. I've been in administrative assistant work for longer than that. And I'm pretty tired of it. I need a job where I can be creative and I can talk to people. Where I can be passionate and use my people skills to their fullest advantage.

And I am leaning toward that job being sales.

Now, I have sold Mary Kay before. But at that time, I was in my addiction, and so it didn't go very well. Read: more wreckage. I was good at it, but I had no real confidence to acquire really good customers, and my personal life was a hot steaming mess.

At this time, I have a year of abstinence. I have a plan for how to get myself out of debt. I believe that I really can achieve my goals, as long I keep them simple. I'm paying my bills, not being crazy, brushing my teeth every day, and doing laundry occasionally too. Dedee is doing ok and I have some boundaries. I think I might be finally ready to do something and actually be successful at it.

I still have a lot of questions and I'm not sure what's going to happen, but I'm going to use this time while the Mack is in Florida and after his subsequent move to Chicago to figure out what I'm going to do.

The Mack really wants me to go get an associate's degree at least. I don't see how I can do *everything* that I want to do and get that at the same time. I know it's important, but I just don't know how doable it is right at this moment. I don't really need to know right now; I just need to keep moving forward.

No comments: