Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Update

Well I applied for an Executive Assistant position within ABC Nuts & Bolts. I have no hope of getting this position, I think, but it never hurts to try.

Two people I know who are wonderful employees were already turned down for one reason or another. One of them was turned down because she is perceived to be unable to keep confidences. I think this is weird - she was offered the position of personal assistant to the former owners of the company. That requires a whole lotta confidentiality.

The other -- I know not why. But, typically, they really want their executive assistants to not be people who gossip or even have close office friendships. Loose lips sink ships and all that, I think.

And here I am, with my blog. My blog is kept anonymous though, I don't think much really sensitive information goes in here. Though I am exposed to some sensitive information, I treat it that way.

Well, anyway, I did buy some new office clothes so I will look more professional. Currently, the only way in which I stand out around here is my ragamuffin wardrobe, which pushes the casual envelope, and my computer knowledge, which is better than most of the people I support. But that's about it.

Though this job is atrophying my brain, I am loathe to leave it. What if I can't find something better? I did see an Office Manager position with a .com company. Which now sounds like a bad idea, considering it is a .com company. Still, that does sound better than eternal administrative assistant.

I think I will text-ify my resume tonight and see what I come up with. Still, a little company like that is bound to have worse benefits than this one. Now, I haven't jobhunted for about four years, and my understanding from my supervisor, whom I can trust to be honest, is that benefits across the board are worse than they were when I first started working here. That seems logical.

But I just really need to do *something*. It's not that I don't like my job. It is that it's not very challenging anymore. However, M2 says she might have me build a database for her that'll handle her College World Series stuff. That'll be a blast. :o)

Well this is rambling. I know the outcome is supposed to be in God's hands, right? I should try harder to leave it there, where it belongs.

No comments: