Monday, March 24, 2008

Update -- Moving on Friday

Guess what? We are moving to a house next Friday. Just renting, but it's really pretty cool. The house was recently renovated and has a big backyard and a driveway, is in the perfect location for us, cute kitchen, nice living room, good bedrooms...it's great for us!
 
I guess I should thank the Mack for his bad advice. Here's what it consisted of.
 
M: "They sent you a letter saying I yelled at the Resident Manager? I didn't yell at her! That lady is very TREE-cherous!"
 
Me: "Well just let me handle interactions with the RMs. You're not on the lease you know. Didn't you think what would happen if you did that? What I'd have to deal with?"
 
M: "I'm really sorry. But you should MOVE! These people are TREE-cherous!!!"
 
Me: "Umm, I don't have a place to move to..."
 
M: "Just give your notice."
 
Me: "Isn't that like a bad idea, since we don't have a place to move to yet?"
 
M: "Oh don't be scared. They can't throw you out!" Awww, my man is so protective. He will protect us from the evil landlord!
 
I said to myself, this is a bad idea. Then my mouth moved and here's what came out...."Well...ok."
 
Hey guess what what I found out when I followed the advice and gave the notice but then decided we didn't want to move? Uhhh...yeah they can. Basically, your lease ends on the date that you specified when you gave notice and that means that there is no document covering your stay there. I can speak with authority here because after that phone call which was a rude awakening for me, I called three attorneys to figure it out, since the Mack was basically like, "Oh they can't throw you out. Get an attorney; I will pay!" So what that means is that the landlord will start an action on your a$$. Yeah no thanks, I don't need that mess.
 
Why do men insist on fighting with every dang person? Or I guess just this man?
 
So after my rude awakening, and confirmation that I was indeed up a creek made out of fecal matter and no paddles aside from my hands to get out of the poop creek, I had a talk with the Mack.
 
"You give the worst advice on the planet! I'm never listening to you again!! How could I have been so stupid to give my notice without a new place to live?"
 
Now he's laughing. "I'm sorry! I thought they couldn't throw you out!" Now we're both laughing for some insane reason.
 
We had looked at this lovely little house on that Sunday (this all went down Tuesday). We had liked it but the Mack wanted to buy a house for us this summer. So I called up the landlord and let him know we'd take it. Thankfully, he hadn't rented it to the two flakey girls that had looked at it at the same time as us. I wouldn't have rented it to them either. I guess my idea about putting makeup, jewelry, and nice clothes on when we went to go look at the house, and arriving on the time for the appointment, worked after all!

No comments: