Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Weird...

So Christmas Eve 2006 was horrid. I got stomach flu or some weird ailment. Basically, I was throwing up left and right for about 13 hours, until my mother, an angel of mercy, went and got me some medicine that my doctor had called in. I was never so eager in my life to stick something up my rear end.

Anyway, that evening, we had been invited over to one of my directors' house to spend Christmas Eve with him, his wife, and their daughter. We went over and I had no idea I was going to be throwing up like that. I spent most of the time on their couch or in their downstairs bathroom, puking my guts out. I felt like the worst guest in the world. They ended up having to drive us home because I definitely could not drive.

But what is weird about it is this. Today he came back to work and I was talking with him a little bit about it and he urged me to not tell anyone that I was at his house. I can't figure out why being friends with me or having any association with me outside of work should be so covert. There is no impropriety whatsoever and I kind of find it disheartening. I was so shocked when he said to me, "You didn't tell anyone, right? I mean, you probably said you were sick, but not…"

And I knew he was saying he didn't want anyone to know that we had been to his family's house. I was kind of shocked, so I just agreed that I hadn't told anyone. Of course, prior to this, I didn't realize he wanted that kept confidential, so I hadn't really made an effort to not say where I was when all this horror started. So I did in fact tell a couple of people, but not very many. So basically I just told a lie. Dangit. I should've just been honest, but what difference does it really make?

I mean, is it one of those situations where someone talks trash about you behind your back but is nice to you to your face? Is this office incredibly political? Is it just because I'm not an equal? Is it to avoid the appearance of impropriety? I don't know. I guess I can just believe the latter option - avoiding the appearance of impropriety. After all, I can choose to believe stuff that will hurt me or stuff that won't hurt me. Why not choose to believe something that won't hurt?

Even so, I just think it's weird.

No comments: