Monday, August 25, 2008

Licensed to Wed!

Well I had the afternoon off on Friday to get estimates on our hail problem with our little dimpled beauty. All around bad news there. Mack called up a friend who is looking to find a car and they were happy to take the car off our hands. We are working out the details now. Mack is such a good man. I can really depend on him. It wasn’t always so, but now that he is committed, he is COMMITTED. J Whereas some men profess commitment and aren’t really, Mack means what he says. And any girl will tell you how zexy that is.

 

So anyway, on Friday afternoon, Mack calls me around 4pm and asks me to pick him up from work. My first thought, ‘Uhoh, I think he got fired.’ Followed immediately by oh shut up. Lol. Off I go.

 

I arrive at his work and pick him up. He goes, ‘Hey, let’s go get the License.’

 

Ummm…wow, this is getting REAL. He is NOT KIDDING. I guess…neither am I!

 

So we got the marriage license. I asked Mack if it was heavy. He asked me what I was talking about. “Your new ball and chain, honey!”

 

He said that in his culture, when you start a process like this, it’s tradition to get eat something sweet. Awwww!!! We were so happy and excited on Friday!

 

Now there is the question of the ring. I don’t have one yet. Mack is not good at romance…he is more practical. That’s ok. I have told him what I want and we went and looked at it on Sunday. It’s kinda expensive, but it’s also a once in a lifetime thing. Well…twice for us. We went to this place called Nebraska Diamond and they were awesome. We’ll see what he comes up with. I told him this would be my last visit to a jewelry store and after this, the outcome is all up to him.

 

I ordered myself a nice Alexandrite ring from eBay to wear for the moment. Alexandrite is his birthstone.

 

I feel sooooo giddy!!!!

 

But you would not believe the flack one can get from people who are ignorant.

 

One person said I should be careful because those Middle Eastern men sometimes view women as property. Ummmm, I think I’d be smart enough to avoid that. Another person said that she’s waiting five years with her beau and we ought to do the same. But she is done having children so that is a different story from ours. And I am confident in my decisions…I don’t need five years in order to know. We’ve been through all of our warts. He’s seen Dee’s pecadillos up close and personal and he stayed with me. He’s seen me not doing so hot too and he’s still there. I’ve been through months of unemployment with him and I found that we could work through it, treating eachother fairly and honestly.

 

You know, I had my doubts for a while. But once Mack committed, he really committed. I think he had to find his way, and I probably needed to learn some things too. After all, I’m no relationship star. I’m still finding out how my parents’ dysfunctional relationship affected how I view relationships. I have many fears about that…my dad never supported my mom or us…she had to do it all herself. He spent his paycheck on the road while my mom hocked her wedding ring and sold her  blood in order to feed us. She sold off her Depression glass, many of her possessions, even once taking back her Christmas gifts in order to feed us when my dad was off having a good time on the road. I don’t want to ever end up like that and I have a great fear of it. It is just amazing what you find out when you’re no longer high on food or anything else and you’re seriously looking at something big like marriage.

 

I’m not sure what else I really need to know about Mack, or what else he needs to know about me. We have the skills, connection, and emotion. I think we’re good.

1 comment:

Deech said...

I am so happy for you, I can't tell ya! Congratulations! God I wish you had a Myspace Page so that I could keep up...especially if you have pictures!